2.9 shift & option keys fail?

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Thu Sep 28 19:19:58 UTC 2000

Hi:

I just did a complete update from virgin 2.8 files to 2.9  update 2710. I used the 2.9 Alpha1 VM.

Prior to updating, the shift and option keys seem to work fine. Afterwards it looks like the modifier keys are being ignored. Opt-D replaces selected text with a lowercase d, and Shift-S produces nothing.

This is the second time I've updated. The first included all files but the latest big batch. The problem was not present there (though it had the yellow resize circle needing an extra click bug). I then updated that and it had the same problem.

I then started from scratch, figuring I'd missed an update somehow, but I still cannot do a DoIt or type 'Squeak'.

Has anyone else seen this? I've tried to load the latest batch in a project with a browser, transcript, and workspace but I get a walkback dribbled across the top left of the screen, seemingly from trying to write to the transcript. (See below.) I have to run in an empty morphic project to get things to load at all. There were no errors reported interactively, but some might have gone into the Transcript.

No one else has reported this so it's probable that I'm doing something odd...

Oh yeah: Mac PowerBook G3, MacOS 9.0.4, 36meg for Squeak, ...

Dave

28 September 2000 2:08:38 pm
MessageNotUnderstood: recordDamagedRect:
WorldState(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
PasteUpMorph>>invalidRect:
SystemWindow(Morph)>>invalidRect:
PluggableTextMorph(Morph)>>invalidRect:
TransformMorph(Morph)>>invalidRect:
TransformMorph>>invalidRect:
TextMorphForEditView(Morph)>>invalidRect:
[] in TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>selectionChanged
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>selectionChanged
TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>handleEdit:
PluggableTextMorph>>handleEdit:
PluggableTextMorph>>update:
[] in TranscriptStream(Object)>>changed:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
TranscriptStream(Object)>>changed:
TranscriptStream>>endEntry
TranscriptStream>>show:
[] in HTTPSocket class>>httpGetDocument:args:accept:request:
SmallInteger(Integer)>>timesRepeat:
HTTPSocket class>>httpGetDocument:args:accept:request:
HTTPSocket class>>httpGetDocument:args:accept:
HTTPSocket class>>httpGet:args:accept:
HTTPSocket class>>httpGet:accept:
[] in Utilities class>>retrieveUrls:ontoQueue:withWaitSema:
OrderedCollection>>do:
[] in Utilities class>>retrieveUrls:ontoQueue:withWaitSema:
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY