Mac 2.8 Browser plugin - Help!

aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Sep 1 04:33:01 UTC 2000

russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com wrote:

> I do have enough memory!  I tried increasing the memory of the browser
> (up to 150M for iCab) but that didn't work.  I tried freeing up other
> memory, but that didn't work either.  I also tried changing the memory
> request from 15 to other values.
>
> What's up? Have I missed something?

What version of iCab and Mac OS are you running?  I'm running Mac OS
9.0.4, iCab Pre2.1, 128 MB real RAM, 192 virtual RAM, and 1.9 MB given
to iCab.  It works fine for me.

Something which is odd, and probably should be metioned is that if you
quit Squeak from the squeaklet via the world menu (and not by closing
the window), it causes some serious screwiness with the graphics of my
system, even after I've quit iCab.  For example, when I drag windows
around, they don't redraw themselves where I've left them- however
changing the color depth refreshes the view, but the problem persists.
I do suppose taking out an option to quit would be a good idea. ;)

Other insights to the Squeak plug-in- I realize that the plug-in is in
an early stage, so there's a good chance that these have been thought
of, but not implemented just yet.  First, it would be nice if Squeak
defaulted to use the nearest color depth of the host operating system.
Second, should there be some global variable responsible for enabling
and disabling certain aspects/features of Squeak?  For example, it's
not practical to quit a plugin, so if this variable was set to #Plugin,
it wouldn't put it there.

Aaron
-----
"Steve Jobs said two years ago that X is brain-damaged and it will be
gone in two years.  He was half right." -- Dennis Ritchie