[CCC] Re: TGen in 2.9a?

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Fri Sep 29 00:15:45 UTC 2000

>At 11:18 28.09.2000 -0400, Mark Guzdial wrote:
> >but I kept getting some really severe crashes [...] I backed down to a 2.8
> >image and had no problem.

By golly, Mark is right, of course.  Filing in TGen-4.cs or 4.1a.cs under
Squeak 2.9a2710 results in a strange MNU/unable-to-open-debugger crash.

The crash seems to occur around line 5492 of said changesets (coincides
with progressbar going to ca. 40%).  The last bits from the .changes file
mention

[--- snip ---]
!SequenceableCollection methodsFor: 'comparing' stamp: 'tfei 10/31/1999
10:49' prior: 67574585!
hash
     "Answer an integer hash value for the receiver such that,
                 -- the hash value of an unchanged object is constant over
time, and
                 -- two equal objects have equal hash values."

     ^self size!
]style[(205)f1! !

----STARTUP----
[--- snip ---]

However, there is *no* style information in the original changeset for that
#hash method.  Or any method.  In fact, the string ']style[' does not occur
at all in the cs.

I'm stumped as to where and why things go wrong, though.  What is it since
update 2558 that is logging generated style information?

Ouch -- bad karma here too, it seems.  I'd better include a class comment
quick:

[---- snip ---]
'From Squeak2.9alpha of 23 June 2000 [latest update: #2710] on 29 September
2000 at 2:07:53 am'!

!PinMorph commentStamp: 'hh 9/29/2000 02:07' prior: 0!
I am the visual representation of a pin on a Component. I display as an
image indicating whether I am an input, output (triangle) or bidirectional
(diamond) pin. I maintain a collection of wires (and through them, the
connecting pins) that I am connected to.

instance variables:
- component: a ComponentLikeModel
- pinSpec: a PinSpec
- pinForm: a Form
- wires: an OrderedCollection of WireMorphs!

Gee, I hope this helps, I dearly do.

Cheers,
Helge