Musing about Smalltalk

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Sep 19 21:33:11 UTC 2000

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 03:03:42PM +0000, Lex Spoon wrote:
> By the way, for many subsystems, you really can learn them by reading
> through /usr/include/*.  I got sound working on SunOS this way, because

Funny, that's more or less how I originally figured out how Unix
worked. I got a copy of Microport SystemV/AT for my 286 computer,
somehow stumbled into the /usr/include directory, and hacked my way
into an understanding of how things worked. The include files have
gotten much harder to read with all this fancy GNU stuff, but your
point still stands :)

I suspect that there are some Squeakers who may not see the appeal of
Linux, FreeBSD, et al. Part of it is simply that these systems, like
Squeak, are completely accessible from top to bottom. Just like Squeak,
anyone with the interest and motivation can explore, change, and
possibly even improve them.

Dave