using a different license

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Mon Sep 11 02:00:13 UTC 2000

	A few days ago you said:

> It might "seem" to be the case [that one could release a GPL'd fork
> of Squeak], but it probably isn't. GPL does not have the same terms,
> and to the extent the terms are different --obligations with respect
> to export regulations, for example-- GPL is arguably "less
> restrictive." Further, Apple may argue that the failure to include
> the Apple-specific language required by the license is "less
> protective of its rights."  The combination of GPL's requirements
> against more restrictions and Squeak-L's requirements against being
> "less protective" are probably at loggerheads.  There are other issues.

	You used "probably" and "arguably" then, but a flat-out "no" now. Why?

	Also, the word "restrictive" does not appear in the Squeak license;
what did you mean there?

	Finally, please tell me where the Squeak license "requires
Apple-specific language". I see no such requirement.

	At any rate, I disagree that one couldn't license a Squeak fork under
GPL. But it seemed to me that you were saying that one couldn't license
a Squeak-derived system under *anything* but the Squeak license; I
wanted to dispel such a notion.

	thanks,

-C

--