[UNIX]Re: VM generation problem (Linux)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Sep 18 20:25:56 UTC 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Mats Nygren wrote:

> In particular I wish to split the global table for primitive
> names/addresses so that the corresponding subtable occurs in each
> plugin instead. (Whether internal or external). Your considerations on
> that?

Definetly. This would allow treating internal and external modules almost
identical. It's also much more secure than dynamic lookup (as Ian pointed
out, it's currently possible to call *any* function in an external
module - try <primitive: 'exit' module: 'SoundCodecPrims'> or any
other external module.

> Furthermore I want to simplify the module naming so there is consistensy
> from module to module and between filenames and methodnames that
> contain them in the image. No one is opposing that?

No. I mean, yes. Err, I agree :)

Currently, the plugins are named so inconsistently that it's impossible to
automatically determine from the filename what belongs where. (see Ian's
message at http://www.egroups.com/message/squeak/19393)

-- Bert