[UNIX] 2.8.3

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Sep 7 15:55:05 UTC 2000

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> Blessed relief!

Not that I want to keep you frm relaxing, but ... I have some more and
some less relevant comments ;^)

- Works fine on my linux box, although there still is the endianness
  problem in B3D and the sound player semaphore problem I posted a few
  days ago. After reading http://www.opensound.com/pguide/audio2.html
  I found out a fix for it: in auPollForIO, replace
   "if (info.fragments > HWM_FRAGMENTS)" with
   "if (info.fragments > (info.fragstotal / 2))".
  In my case, fragstotal was only 2, so the semaphore never got
  signaled. Damn those varying constants ...
- Irix make still doesn't work because of the $<
- Segmentation fault on our Sun when entering 3D - crashes in
  B3DPrimitiveRasterizer>mainLoop

Other stuff:

- the getSystemAttribute prims has recently changed in the Mac VM to
  answer nil at the end of the list. This allows easier distinguatiation
  of empty params. We should do the same.
- It might be better to exclude the modules that aren't functioning. That
  way, an application could check if a module is available.
- For some reason, xshm won't work for me at the moment ("getshm: no space
  left on device"). No Squeak problem, other apps are complaining,
  too. But: those other apps fall back to non-shared code after a
  warning. This might be a good idea for Squeak, too?

Regarding the rpms: I think they're immensely useful. Of course I'm
opinionated, being a Redhat user myself.
* there were other RPMs before;
  http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/mail/squeak-annc.old/msg00007.html
  http://www.seul.org/archives/independence-l/Feb-2000/msg00045.html
* Also, there are the Debian packages, which use a different init script
  (and man page, IIRC).
* It's probably a good idea to start Squeak via a
  script to set environment variables like LD_LIB_PATH? It could even
  parse  ~/.squeakrc and set env vars accordingly ;)
* The doc files should be marked as such, the directory should be named
  squeak-2.8 (with a hyphen).
* in the ffi rpm spec, Cyngus should be Cygnus.
* For Redhat, stuff is usually installed in /usr rather than /usr/local,
  also image/changes would be properly placed in /usr/share/squeak

That's it for now :)

-- Bert

PS: I'll send you my current browser plugin stuff in a separate message.