licensing

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Fri Sep 8 09:41:22 UTC 2000

At 5:12 AM -0400 9/8/00, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
>At 11:12 PM -0400 9/7/00, Craig Latta wrote:
>>	Gee, what's to stop someone from (for example) forking Squeak and
>>releasing the fork under the GPL? I don't see anything in the Squeak
>>license that prevents this (I'm probably missing something).

Consider, for example, the following excerpt from the Python article:

Which things notably include: "The sad thing is that all of this is
based on technicalities: Stallman agrees that Python is free
software, but a technicality in the licenses prevents compatibility.
The choice of law clause in the CNRI license, which is causing the
incompatibility, is very common is software licenses, and CNRI
doesn't want to drop it because the validity of the general
disclaimers in the license may depend on it. At the same time,
Stallman doesn't want to allow any choice of law clauses, because one
could stipulate the law of "Unfreedonia" which might reverse the
meaning of the GPL.
Andrew C. Greenberg		acg at netwolves.com
V.P. Eng., R&D, 		813.885.2779 (office)
NetWolves Corporation		813.885.2380 (facsimile)
www.netwolves.com

Please use werdna at mucow.com instead of werdna at gate.net