Freetype2

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Mon Sep 4 17:31:44 UTC 2000

Alan Kay wrote:

> We need serifed fonts as good as Palatino, and we need sans serif
> fonts as good as Helvetica.

The good thing is that generic versions of these (and the other "standard
LaserWriter fonts"), by a professional type foundry (URW), are available as
part of ghostscript. The bad things are, firstly that they are in a
ghostscript-clone format variant of postscript; FreeType handles it, but no
font editor I know that can write to truetype format can read the
ghostscript format. Secondly, that they are presumably under some GNU
license. But since they're not code this may not be so bad. (Hmm, wait. In
fact they are. PostScript source code.)

I'm almost entirely sure that there aren't any other options. This is
probably because computer folks are the only ones stupid enough to give away
quality stuff for free. <g>

Henrik