using a different license

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Mon Sep 11 12:53:30 UTC 2000

> Squeak is not going to be GPL'd (and, in fact, cannot be unless Apple
> and the universe of contributors sign on to it).  Get over it.

	Heh. I never suggested it could. I think a derived work could be,
though. And there's nothing to "get over"; there's no need to wait for
Disney, Apple, Squeak Central or anyone else to do anything. I posit
that if one wants a GPL'd Squeak-derived system, one may simply derive
and release it.

-C

p.s.

> Arguing about a name change from Squeak to another that is more
> serious than "Python" is, IMHO, quite silly.

	Indeed it would be. I don't think that's what I was doing. I was saying
that a fork ought to have a distinct name, to avoid identity confusion;
I wasn't addressing the merits of the "Squeak" name. This is indeed a
minor point at any rate, yes.

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist