The Mosner bit

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Fri Sep 1 15:00:10 UTC 2000

This is very interesting!

Has this been tried in other implementations before?

Does this essentially mean that up to 128 immediate classes can be added,
each with up to 16M unique instances?

Since Squeak uses direct pointers and addresses are typically aligned on 4
byte boundaries, it seems like that bit is being wasted anyway, except for
the SmallInteger case.  It doesn't seem like it should be that big of an
impact on performance either (but maybe so, have any benchmarks been run?).

With regard to things such as Unicode (and other character sets), if you
tried to create a string out of OOPS (in some sort of collection for
instance), you would be using up twice as much space as the character set
(in the case of Unicode anyway) required.  But, alternatively, you could
have a variable word class that efficiently stores the Unicode (i.e.
UnicodeString)...when accessing a single character in the string, it would
be a simple process to tack on the extra two (well-known) bytes that would
form the immediate OOP for the corresponding Unicode character.

The ability to efficiently represent just about any encoding scheme is
reason enough in my opinion.

I think it's definitely worth exploring!  You have my vote.

- Stephen