Freetype2

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Mon Sep 4 02:53:05 UTC 2000

Well, let's get the fonts out of there, and replace them with
reasonable or better equivalents ....

While there are lots of issues and needs, including printing needs, I
believe that what we most require right now are bitmap fonts and some
free TTFonts that can be used with computer screens, especially over
the net.

We need serifed fonts as good as Palatino, and we need sans serif
fonts as good as Helvetica. I would definitely like the definitive
word on the use of bitmap fonts. My supposition from various
conversations is that bitmap fonts can't be copywrited and should be
universally usable if they have non-copywritten names. This is the
first task that has to be done.

I did quite a few of the original PARC bitmap fonts, and have no
objection to doing more if that will help. I also think that it could
be worth our while to make some custom fonts using the TType
machinery....

Cheers,

Alan

-----