Headless Comanche Swiki?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Sep 21 03:01:36 UTC 2000

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 08:15:35PM +0200, Cees de Groot wrote:
> I'm about to install Comanche Swiki on our Intranet (Solaris box),
> and the last little hurdle to take is to try to run it headless. The
> -headless mode doesn't work, it results in a segmentation fault and a
> stack(?) trace immediately.

I do not know what the problem is, but there is a good chance that it's
my fault, as I contributed the hacks to Ian's sqXWindow.c to support
the '-headless' option. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a Solaris
machine, and I only tested the code on Linux.

I recommend that you get a copy of Ian's source distribution, and build
a headless VM from sources. This will be better for your purposes,
because the X code will be removed entirely from the headless VM,
and I'm sure you will not have any problems with that version. If
you are not comfortable building the headless VM yourself, ask on
the list and I'm sure someone with a Solaris box can send you one.

If you have the time and patience to try running your existing VM
under a debugger, please let me know where the segmentation fault
is occurring, and I'll try to figure it out from there.

Dave