Preferences infiniteUndo

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Mon Sep 11 18:30:47 UTC 2000

Bob Arning wrote...
>I just ran out of memory playing FreeCell (I had about 30 meg free to start). It seems that "Preferences infiniteUndo" is true by default and it seems the code takes "infinite" literally. Is there a plan to reduce the amount of stuff kept around when memory starts running low? Should we make the default for this false until people are aware of the dangers?

Ted suggested recently that we should have a finite limit of 5 or 10 as the default, and I think I agree.  The paste stack depth is 5 (what, you didn't know there was a paste stack? ;-).  I personally would also subscribe to a preference that dumped all the undo stacks (and paste stack and maybe trash) prior to a save-and-quit, and maybe a menu item to do this voluntarily right above 'space left' in the help menu.

I'd be willing to code something like this up, but Scott may well have done it or thought about it more already.  I love undo, but we do to tame it a bit.  I'm copying this message to the Squeak list so folks are aware of the situation (and the fact that you can disable infiniteUndo, and probably want to).

	- Dan

PS, Bob:  have you integrated undo with FreeCell yet, hmmm?  I'll do SameGame.