[newbie] Printing

btanksley at hifn.com btanksley at hifn.com
Tue Sep 12 22:45:33 UTC 2000

From: Richard A. O'Keefe [mailto:ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz]

>Is it any wonder that I'd rather have Postscript than PDF?

PDF is too complicated, and PS is even worse -- the only reason PS is more
generally useful is that it's much older.

I'd rather have a documentation format which was designed for online
documents.  It should allow the author to specify things like margins,
gutters, columns, tables, footnotes, page numbers, and so on; but it
shouldn't require the author to know the page size, since it's a safe bet
that most people reading it will have different page sizes (for example,
when reading onscreen my "page size" is as big as my window).

TeX is close, but takes far too long to render to be useful, and of course
there are no readers which really support it for simple reading, except
maybe IBM's TeX browser plugin.

-Billy