Sharing experience at OOPSLA

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sun Sep 17 06:38:04 UTC 2000

Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> I have a proposition for OOPSLA.
>
> At ecoop I was discussing with Mike and he said: "I was not aware that
> we could do all that stuff after seeing the demoes of Alan" For me this
> was the same after Dan demoed at OOPSLA. This is cool to have a meeting
> where everybody can show what there are doing.
>
> But I would really like to have a place where we can exchange simple how to.
> I would like to be able to repeat certain simple things. Really understand
> the different ways of doing things, understanding hidden buttons.

One place that people could meet is at Camp Smalltalk, which will be in
the courtyard of the exhibits hall.  See
http://oopsla.acm.org/ap/2k1_exhibits.html .  (Hmm, I just noticed that
the web page lists the exhibits hours as being only Tuesday-Thursday.
Does that mean Camp Smalltalk will only be Tuesday-Thursday?)

Camp Smalltalk @ OOPSLA info is at:
http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/Camp+Smalltalk+%40+OOPSLA

Anyway, there should be some Squeak-minded people hanging around Camp
Smalltalk.  It sounds like Camp Smalltalk will mostly be people coding
on projects, but it seems like there would be some room for people
showing each other how-tos in Squeak.  If it got too crowded at the
Camp, maybe there would be some nearby space.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com
  RiskMetrics Group - Software Research, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.riskmetrics.com