VM for Mac OS X

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Wed Sep 20 11:54:58 UTC 2000

> From: John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>

> 2) Also if you start the Squeak.app (which is the bundle that gets
built) It
> runs the VM which actually is
>  Squeak.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
> the problem is that we want to find the image and change set which by
> default is assumed to be in the same directory as the VM. This of
course
> isn't true.
>
> So as you see there is some cleanup to do here with regard to
Squeak and how
> it treats default directories on the Mac. I've been meaning to
look at this
> issue since it's also a problem for the mac Browser plugin, since
in some
> places you ask to open file 'foo' but file foo is not found in the
directory
> where the plugin is, it's over in the internet folder. So you must
specify
> the full path name.

This also affects the area of plug-ins.  MacOS-X has a very specific
way of dealing with plugins and shared libraries:  bundles +
frameworks (a framework is a special kind of bundle).  There is also
the issue of different standards for dynamic linking ( dyld() vs. ?
).

As far as I can see, the way to do this right on MacOS-X is
incompatible with the direction the Unix VM is taking, going as far
as the Unix build system now using libtool, which is not available on
MacOS-X so far.

So the only way for me to move forward at this point is to fight an
uphill battle, which I just don't have the time for at this moment.

Marcel