[newbie] Printing

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 11 20:40:57 UTC 2000

Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:

> Raymond Asselin wrote:
>
> > >  You can save any morph to a postscript file using the red halo's "print
> > >  to PS file..." option.
> >
> > The problem with this is that you must have a postcript printer is'nt it?
> > I do'nt and sure I'm not alone.
>
> What would it take to print to portable document format (pdf) instead ?
> pdf is taking on postscripts role as distributed cross platform
> documents etc.

Both PS and PDF are extremely portable.  PDF is a better format, but not
because it's available on more platforms.

There are viewers for both available on Windows and Unix, at least, and
probably Macs as well.  Try ghostview for PS, or Adobe Acrobat Reader
for PDF.  You don't need a special printer.

> Also printing them
> to different printers is quite easy as there are several programs on every
> platform beeing capable of doing this. Reading in pdf as bookmorphs
> would be nice...

A Squeak PDF viewer would be great.  However, note that PDF is
essentialy view-only.  Whenever it's possible, I would much rather load
a bookmorph as a bookmorph :)

The PDF spec is available from Adobe's web site, for anyone interested.
www.adobe.com.

-Lex