Documentation Suggestion

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Sep 22 19:20:27 UTC 2000

Lex Spoon wrote:

> Another nice thing would be to add it to the "check for slips" that is done
> when a changeset is filed out....  Certainly class methods should be
> checked

Excellent idea!  I think this would be just the right level of
pestering.

The first person to post the [ENH] changeset which implements this wins
a free candy bar, payable at OOPSLA. :)

> and a real documentation fanatic might want to have each
> *method* checked, as well.

I don't know if I would go that far... creating a standard in which all
methods are expected to have comments is probably a bad idea, actually.
(Not accusing you of anything. :) )  Anyone who disagrees probably needs
to read up a little on Extreme Programming.

Although I admit that I generally do include comments at the beginning
of longish or unobvious methods... but generally, intention-revealing
naming conventions and refactoring should be higher priority than
method-level comments.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com
  RiskMetrics Group - Software Research, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.riskmetrics.com