Type Inference

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 13 20:09:52 UTC 2000

Yes, I have also been doing something very much along the lines of what you are after- specifically, I am working on static analysis techniques for the automatic extraction of role-based interfaces from ordinary Smalltalk code.  I will not claim to have this solved, but I've wrestled with this beast enough to have some idea of what can be done.  The short answer is I've been very close for a long time- enough to be very tantalizing at times... but unfortunately haven't slayed the dragon yet.  Every once in a while I make some good progress, but then there are walls.  Still... I'm fairly optimistic about this.

Thor sounds very interesting, but I cannot reach either its website or the one for Theta based on the links you provided- I'll try again later, as the servers seem to be down.

Actually, what would prevent you from simply claiming to Thor that all of your objects are, basically, Objects? One type- Object.  Would that approach work for you?

- les