PIE Reference, was Re: Modular Squeak

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 26 17:41:53 UTC 2000

> Paul Fernhout wrote:
> > > Les Tyrrell wrote:
> > > To be useful, such
> > > a system ought to have many of the properties described for Collage, which appears to
> > > have many properties in common with the Personal Information Environment as described
> > > by Goldstein and Bobrow, "A Layered Approach to Software Design", which can be found
> > > in the book "Interactive Programming Environments", McGraw-Hill 1984
> > > ( ISBN 0-07-003885-6 ).  It's possible that there is an extreme overhead penalty for
> > > trying something like this, but I'd like to have a go at it to see.  I'll know more
> > > when I get there.  If someone has a better idea, let's hear it.
> >
> > Any web references? I looked around some in Google but didn't find a
> > good page on this yet.
>
> By the way, I did find this URL:
> VerSE: Towards Hypertext Versioning Styles
>  http://www.cs.unc.edu/~barman/HT96/P45/HT96HaakeHicks.html
> with a section on task based versioning referencing PIE and also a
> section entitled:
>   "VerSE: A Flexible Version Support Environment"
> Perhaps you could tell me if this represents the sort of thing you had
> in mind?

Well, what I had in mind was Xanadu, but it's pretty obvious that isn't going to get
built anytime soon! ( see http://oasis.canis.uiuc.edu:8080/Xanadu ).

I tried initially to get "Layered Approach" off the web, but failed.  However, this
issue came up before and we have the following reccomendation:

> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 23:22:46 +0100
> Subject: Re: Category Theory and Dynamic Object Document Browsing
> From: Marcel Weiher <marcel at metaobject.com>
> To: squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
>
> > From: Les Tyrrell <tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu>
> >
> > I've found the following reference, but have had no luck in locating
> > a web-accessible copy-
> >
> > [Goldstein & Bobrow 1981]
> > Ira P. Goldstein and Daniel G. Bobrow
> > PIE: An Experimental Personal Information Environment
> > Technical Report CSL-81-4, Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, 1981
>
> I think there aren't any.  I e-mailed someone at Xerox (library
> something or other) and they were kind enough to mail me a copy.
>
> To Germany.
>
> VERY nice of them.
>
> Marcel

What is disgusting to me is that I meant to do this then, but as it turns out,
after getting the book a few days ago, we had a copy in the lab I work in all along.

- les