Why aren't these Disney Python jobs for Squeak?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Sep 22 18:08:07 UTC 2000

>>>>> "Bert" == Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:

Bert> On 22 Sep 2000, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
halfdome.holdit.com> squeak -headless
>> Segmentation fault
>> *** Aside: is anyone aware of this or working on this? ***

Bert> It was noted two days ago by someone, and some weeks ago by me. The fix is
Bert> trivial. In sqXWindow.c, ioSetCursorWithMask(), insert at the top:

Bert>   if (!isConnectedToXServer) return 0;

Bert> I just did not check if there are other places this is missing, so I
Bert> didn't post a fix.

Well, that now boots up without a crash, but how do I write to
standard output?  Does Transcript know to do something different now,
or are all these examples with Transcript meant for a nonheadless
(headful? :-) process?

Bert> With a stripped-down image that is built into the executable that
Bert> shouldn't be a big deal. Now the time is:

Bert> bert.balloon > echo Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true > myscript
Bert> bert.balloon > time squeak -headless myscript
Bert> 0.560u 0.140s 0:00.70 100.0%	0+0k 0+0io 233pf+0w

Cool!