Thread-safe TranscriptStream

Karl Goiser squeak at wattle.net
Fri Sep 22 00:18:50 UTC 2000

Hi John,

I'm mainly a lurker on this list, but I think I'd like to say
something here (my opinion only - please don't shoot me down if I'm
wrong):

Squeak is not like a normal piece of software produced by a company
that makes money from sales and keeps the source and accepts
responsibility for it, because it is none of these things.
Ultimately, there is nobody responsible for fixing your 'bug'.

That being said, your earlier email did have a fix in it:

At 5:18 PM -0500 15/8/00, jchludzinski at worldkey.net wrote:
>It appears that the necessary modifications to TranscriptStream to
>support thread-safe writes to Transcript have NOT been placed in
>the latest release!  This should OBVIOUSLY be done:
>
>endEntry
>	self semaphore critical:[
>		self changed: #appendEntry.
>		self reset.
>	].
>
>semaphore
>	^AccessSema ifNil:[
>		AccessSema _ Semaphore forMutualExclusion
>	]
>
>---John

Perhaps if you had put [ENH] or [FIX] at the beginning of you email
subject, it would have been picked up?

Karl