using a different license (was "Python no longer GPL-compatible (Squeak implications?)")

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Mon Sep 11 00:15:28 UTC 2000

	Andrew Greenberg writes:

> Neither you, I nor Disney have the power to unilaterally change the
> license to something like GPL.  To do so, it will be necessary for
> you to rewrite the corpus Squeak from scratch, because absent a
> relicencing from Apple, none of us have the power or ability to
> change this.  If you are so inclined, go ahead an rewrite the system
> from scratch, subject to your own license.

	I don't think that's true. The Squeak license explicitly mentions
licensing Squeak-derived work with a different license (in section two):

	"You may modify and create derivative works of the Apple Software
("Modified Software"), however, you may not modify or create derivative
works of the fonts provided by Apple ("Fonts"). You may distribute and
sublicense such Modified Software only under the terms of a valid,
binding license that makes no representations or warranties on behalf of
Apple, and is no less protective of Apple and Apple's rights than this
License."

	One wouldn't need to rewrite the system from scratch. Personally, I
think one would only need to remove the Fonts. Changing the name from
"Squeak" to something else would probably be wise, too.

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist