X fullscreen (was: Squeak on an iPAQ)

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Fri Sep 22 19:54:51 UTC 2000

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Kevin Fisher wrote:
>
> > Speaking of full-screen under X, it recently stopped working properly for
> > me.  It's likely more a problem of the window manager I'm using (kwin)
> > but I'm not sure what to submit to them (not being an Xlib person).
> >
> > Whenever I turn on full-screen mode I get a huge window, instead of having
> > just squeak occupying the screen.  The window manager still attempts
> > to decorate the window, giving me a title border and the left border.
>
> Exact control of window size/position is something that's not easily
> achieved in X. The client app just suggests to the window manager its
> desired size, but it's not guaranteed to get it. See
> http://www.tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/ Section 4 for a nice complicated read
> of X Client/WM communication.

Great, thanks for the pointer.  I've heard horror stories about ICCCM... :)

> > Is there any way to fix this?
>
> I talked to Ian about this, and we have an idea. You can tell the WM to
> leave its hands completely off a window (via override_redirect). That way
> you gain full control over the window, you can even place it over the
> "always on top" windows like taskbar etc. However, you loose all the
> convenient functionality the WM provides, like focus assignment and color
> map switching.

Hmm, I see.  For now I've been getting around the irritation of what KWin does
by just using the 'maximize' buttons; it seems to work really well under
KDE2...Squeak gets resized perfectly (with window borders), even accounting
for panel position.

> >  Or better, since I doubt this is a Squeak problem...can you give me
> > any advice that I can use to bug the maintainers of KWin with?
>
> Do they claim to be ICCCM-compliant? You could just ask someone how to get
> an application the full screen.

I believe so.  I emailed the maintainer and he asked me what Squeak does to go
full-screen. :)  So, I guess I"m going to need to dive into the horrors of
XLib to unravel this puzzle.  I'm convinced the problem is with KWin, since it
doesn't happen with Enlightenment or with earlier betas of KWin.