Squeaklets on Squeak Swiki

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue Sep 12 14:31:35 UTC 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 13:00:01 -0400 "Jochen F. Rick" <nadja at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>If that is the case, I would like to eventually add Squeaklet capability
>to the Squeak Swiki. If people have suggestions on how this could be
>done, please let me know.

Je77,

Here are some thoughts that might apply to squeaklets on the swiki or elsewhere:

- While "squeaklet" is as yet undefined, one sense in which we have been using it is the notion of a squeak project that can be loaded into an image (in a browser or not). In a broader sense, "squeaklet" might mean something simpler: a morph or a snippet of squeak code.

- In the project sense, we have a Publish button on the ProjectNavigatorMorph which can write a project file to an ftp server (chosen from a file list-like thing). Agreeing on a similar convention that would allow publishing to a swiki would be nice. Whether that means swikis supporting ftp protocol or Publish learning the appropriate http/swiki upload commands is open for discussion.

- Publish currently provides for a versioning of files encoded within the file name. Squeak can use this to determine if a newer version exists on the server and load it. It also permits specifically loading an older version if desired. This might imply a tag that refers to the latest/only version as well as some method for determining the existence of other versions.

- One can envision cases where the original author wishes to be the sole creator of newer versions. One can also envision a more swiki-like atmosphere where anyone can load a newer version.

- While the swiki already provides the ability to organize content by arranging html links on different pages and under different headings, it might be useful if uploads could be accompanied by some sort of searchable metadata: tools vs. games vs. educational, e.g.

- The invocation of a squeaklet by clicking on a link in an email or web page currently involves several steps:
--- Retrieval of a simple html document that specifies a plugin application (squeak) and a source file (the project) plus some other stuff
--- The user's preferred browser then invokes squeak and passes it data from the simple html page.
--- Squeak then retrieves the source file specified.
Several options would make this easier:
1. The automatic generation of the simple html file, either when the project is uploaded or when the link is activated.
2. Alternate urls: one to perform the normal launch-this-in-the-browser mode and another if the user simply wanted to download the project file.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bob