[UNIX] 2.8.3

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Sep 14 09:05:46 UTC 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Marcus Denker wrote:

> I build such a wrapper-script for the Debian package.
>
> pro:  -> works out of the box
>       -> works from the KDE/GNOME/Windowmanager menu
>
> con:  -> creates a *huge* directory without asking.

Another big "con" is that this prevents writing Squeak "sqripts", since a
wrapper script cannot be used as interpreter in the "#!" line (as Ian
pointed out).

> If squeak is started with read-only image/changes, it starts in
> "Demo" mode.
> In Demo-mode squeak starts with a window were the user can
> choose between "install squeak" and "Squeak Demo". The installer
> copies image, changes, sources to a directory in the users $HOME,
> in "Squeak Demo mode" you can use squeak but it's not possible
> to save. The installer is started instead.

I like this, but I wouldn't call it "Demo". It's just normal Squeak, with
the only exeption that changes aren't logged. If no image name is given,
it should load a default image from a system directory. If the image is
started without a script argument, it could offer a "save as...", which
creates image/changes in a place the user wishes. The sources should
remain where they are anyway. But if there's a script, it should just be
executed.

How does this sound?

-- Bert