Musing about Smalltalk

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Wed Sep 13 02:36:41 UTC 2000

Kevin --

This was the original intent for all users (but only a few like
yourself find the process comfortable in today's system). We plan
(and need) to make this process more understandable for a much wider
range of users (and we could really use some help). We have various
kinds of browsers, debuggers, inspectors and explorers, all of which
are useful at the object level, but we don't have a browser/inspector
for larger constructions (the equivalent of apps) -- e.g. like
Celeste. It's largely a problem of focus and highlighting the parts
of the nexus that are really important compared to the merely
supporting players. It would be nice if this kind of brower were
semiautomatically built as part of the app construction process.  It
would be nice if there were a stronger larger structure architecture
than just Morphic, or MVC, etc.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Alan