Q for Celeste users

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Sep 14 20:24:21 UTC 2000

Duane,

Just in case there was any confusion about what I was getting at:

1. The current implementation of the squeak VM as a browser plugin limits all file i/o to the directory in which squeak exists (currently 'yourHD:System Folder:Preferences:Squeak:Internet:' on the Mac) as a security measure. You could make your own plugin that did not have that restriction and worry about misbehaving squeaklets or not.

2. Celeste had a couple of methods that used a local file name, 'EMAIL.something.log', e.g. in a message that requires a full path name. These broke when run in a browser since assumptions about working directories do not work in this mode.

3. Celeste now works in a browser and hopefully I will not have broken any legitimate expectations of Celeste users. HOWEVER, given (1) and the fact that some people apparently keep their Celeste files outside the squeak directory, this _will_ break when run in a browser.

4. No other change or impact on file operations is intended.

Cheers,
Bob