Argentina Spam

Ivan Brusic ibrusic at wsicorp.com
Tue Sep 12 17:37:00 UTC 2000

Edward P Luwish wrote:

> I get it too.  A lot of it is actually fairly interesting and funny.  I wonder
> if they will send an installer to my apartment in Colorado - they have a great
> deal on water softening systems.

Yes, most of us who post on this list are receiving the spam from
Argentina.  The problem is that since the spam originates from a country
without anti-spam legislation, it is difficult to report the spammers.
My normal routine for reporting spam is to send email to
abuse@<whatever_domain> of the originating ISP, but most foreign ISPs
don't have a abuse system set up.  abuse.net is somewhat helpful in
reporting spam to higher ups, but I have not seen any success with the
Argentina spam.

Ironically, one of the spam e-mails is for a large database of e-mail
addresses. I would assume one of the e-mail addresses in that database
is the one used to send the spam to!

In this day of spam, the e-mail archive should NOT have mailto: links.
Either remove the mailto: link are munge the e-mail address in an
obvious way for humans to figure out.

Ivan

P.S. Has the reply-to: been changed?  I actually like the reply-to:
list.

--
Ivan Brusic                      |  "Computers are nothing but a perfect
E-mail: ibrusic at wsicorp.com      |   illusion of order" - Iggy Pop