[UNIX] 2.8.3

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Sep 8 00:34:09 UTC 2000

on 9/6/00 7:51 PM, Steve Elkins at sgelkins at bellsouth.net wrote:

> John M McIntosh wrote:
>> (2) I attempted to compile Squeak-2.8pre2.tar.gz on OpenBSD 2.7 mac68K but
>> the make fails, config gets hangs waiting for the 'as' check to get keyboard
>> input. Of course if anyone has make Squeak on OpenBSD they should pipe up.

Ok, for the curious after I installed the GNU version of make I could
generate a Squeak 68K VM for OpenBSD 2.7 mac68k

Steve Elkins <sgelkins at bellsouth.net> also attempted this on I guess an
intel box:

He adds:

>Added -I/usr/X11R6/include for sqUnixMozilla.c
>and sqXWindow.c, compiled manually.  in src/unix/sqXWindow.c changed
>RTLD_NOW to DL_LAZY

You must control-d the configure when it is check for 'as'. I guess that is
a difference between GNU as and BSD as.

The interp.c does not get gnuified because of issues with how the configure
deals with AWK, awk is there it's not GNU awk. We'll see if we can fix
that...

Performance wise I get:

199,521 bytescodes/sec and 6,626 sends/sec on an SE/30 running OPENBSD 2.7
(ungnuified 2.8pre2 VM)

of course a PowerBook 500mhz gets
50,274,941 bytescodes/sec and 1,610,918 secds/sec with official 2.8

So something interesting to do, the SE/30 usually runs my internal domain
name service so it's not busy and it has 32MB of memory so it's kinda fun to
know that yes one can get a 2.8 unix VM to run on it. MVC is ok, but Morphic
is SLOW...

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6