Running out of memory

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Thu Sep 7 17:13:27 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> "Eric Arseneau" <eat at huv.com> is widely believed to have written:
>
> > Does Squeak request more memory from the OS as it needs it, or does it have
> > to allocate it all from the beginning ?
> The latter.

Depends on the platform actually. In the Win32 VMs the maximum
allocation can be set from the command line, but the VM normally only
allocates part of this at startup -- capturing memory access faults
before triggering more memory allocation. I have 32MB "allocated" from
my command line, but my Squeak process is only using about 9.8MB at
startup on NT -- however, the image "sees" 32MB available.

-- Dwight