ARGH! 3.0 Plug-in Download

Jochen F. Rick nadja at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 27 14:19:32 UTC 2001

I always hate it when computers decide that I shouldn't be allowed to do
something, especially when I know what I'm doing. This is a terrible way
to treat your users. Shame.

I went to squeakland.org to download the 3.0 Squeak plug-in. It detected
that my browser was iCab2.5 and that therefore I am not able to use the
plug-in. This is wrong. iCab is able to use Netscape plug-ins.

The proper respect-for-the-user way to handle this is for it to say
"Oops. I don't recognize that browser. Here are all the browser plug-ins
that you can download and the corresponding conditions I think are
necessary for you to use them. My recommendation is that you download one
of the 'standard' (ie. evil) browsers. If not, here's what's available."

Peace and Luck!

Je77