growing Memory in Squeak under UNIX

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 11 02:56:16 UTC 2001

For the record, these patches work okay, but I've seen it crash once and
in principle it really could crash at any time.  My attempt to ask for
one thing from the OS, but with a wink and a nudge hope to get something
else, are merely mostly working.  Specifically, it's possible to do
munmap() followed by an immediate mmap() of the same amount of memory,
and still have the mmap() fail, even though there's plenty of memory
available.  When this happens, Squeak suddenly has a hole in the middle
of its heap and is bad trouble.  So while I'm using these patches now,
and while they are very convenient, I wouldn't run a server with them.

Now, it sure would be nice if squeak's ObjectMemory didn't need all its
memory to be in the same place.  :|  And if it could do my laundry, that
would be nice, too....

-Lex