[BUG] Celeste - Don't try this at home

Steve Wart thecows at home.com
Tue Apr 24 15:30:33 UTC 2001

I saw Doug Way's comment about the duplicating halo for cloning windows,
and I thought, "cool idea" (I mostly used it for cloning E-Toys for race
cars with my son).

So I tried it on Celeste. Oops. A very bad thing happens. The .index and
.messages file get out of synch and a cascade of annoying error messages
result (telling you to salvage and compact -- it would have been less
annoying if I didn't have to chase the dialog around the screen) as it
tries to salvage and compact, and primitive failures occur when you try
to quit your image because it can't close the .messages file.

So what class of bug is this? A weird interaction between the ideal
morphic and external resource locking - what is the best way to deal
with this in general? One must have to deal with the same issue when
doing SoundMorphs or accessing TCP ports (or no?)

Steve