A still sensible question about _ and :=

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Mon Apr 23 07:31:47 UTC 2001

Stef,

>From somebody who's writing a lot of Squeak code:

> I'm really wondering why Squeak code continues to have _
> instead of using :=.

It's just faster to type. That's all. I used to do VW all the time and some
of my older code uses := but once you get really into it it's just one
character less to type. More efficient. Now I'm not saying it's good but I
believe that is the reason - it's because those guys who are doing a lot of
Squeak hacking have learned to value the increased efficiency. And nothing
prevents you from writing := if you wish.

> I let the discussion of { . } for another email but I think from the
> experience I had looking at ObjectStudio industrial application code
> (ObjectStudio proposes also { } and programmer loved it to write
> amazingly ugly code) that { . } is absolutely *not* a cool shortcut for
> dynamic array creation.

No?! Is
	Array with: (Array with: 1 with: 2)
		with: (Array with: 3 with: 4).