Squeak on Linux Framebuffer??

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Apr 11 17:41:07 UTC 2001

Kevin Fisher <kgf at golden.net> is widely believed to have written:

> Actually, you need to replace the 'http' with 'ftp' to see the code.
>
> This is cool!  I wonder if this would work with the framebuffer on my
> iPaq?  I could save a large load of space if I could dispose of all
> the X-related stuff and just go straight fb....
Well the original worked ok on the Itsy and the iPaq is a grownup Itsy
and Jay's code was derived from my itsy code and bunch of his hard work,
so it should all do fine.
I see that it is currently limited to using a display that exactly
matches the Squeak Display depth, and relies on the transform from
Squeak pixels to iPaq pixels being the simplest case (swapping byte
order of words). This could be a problem in some situations, but try it
and see. I have quite a bit of experience in mangling pixel formats, so
call me if you find a problem.

tim

Why do anarchist only drink herbal Teas?
Because all proper tea is theft.