Stable Squeak?

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Apr 19 05:40:36 UTC 2001

Sarkela wrote:

> Since this branch is favoring simplicity over features, it is
> smaller and simpler. Mainline Squeak can benefit immediately
> from the unit tests we have written. Over time SqC can incorporate
> our base changes, or come up with better solutions that address
> the same issues. In any event, the long term goal is to incorporate
> more and more of the base image functionality in the Squeak world
> tour environment as loadable source code. It will always lag
> the base in feature set.

Sounds like an excellent plan.  (In some ways a complete merge sometime in the future would be nice, but it might be a bit unrealistic, too.)

> It may even support other experimental
> interface projects. Our points of view are the principle
> limiting factors. The goals of the Squeak world tour and SqC
> are different, but they are more complementary than conflicting.
> There is an interesting dynamic tension between production coding
> values and the values of experimental development. Both are crucial.
> I expect the development of each to be a co-evolution.
>
> Why should you expect more openness in the future? Because,
> the Squeak world tour has reached the stage of an initial release.

Hooray! :)

> Every effort is being made to avoid licensing issues and I have
> erred on the side of caution. This is in the final round of
> validation.

Good to hear.  I'm hoping that it will be made public soon... (say, in the next month or so?)  I would almost prefer to see a not-quite-rock-solid version be initially released, than to have to wait until after ESUG to see something.  You could always call the initial public release a "beta", which folks could play around with and figure out how to use, and then release a "1.0" version a few months later for people to start doing real work (and doing projects similar to the ones mentioned in your other email).

Of course, if there are still licensing issues to be worked out, that's another matter, and I can understand a delay for that reason.

(But it was looking good at Smalltalk Solutions, and I'd like to see it released soon!)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com