Civil Modularity (Re: Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot)

Douglas Brebner douglas+list at fang.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 15:40:49 UTC 2001

On Sunday 22 April 2001 15:32, Paul Fernhout wrote:
[snip]
> In practice, however once one goes down the path of modularity in
> structuring an open system for whatever reasons, language support will
> be desirable and will probably happen as well. It might be fair to argue
> language (and related tool support) need to be added first as an
> independent effort in hopes this will then make the modularization
> process easy enough someone (say at SqueakC) can do it in a short time.

Haven't SqC already included basic modularisation support with Environments?
What seems to be lacking are enhancements, docs and tools to support them.
Once that is done then breaking up the image could be done in stages with
only a small amount of assistance from SqC.

Is anyone working on this? I'd try it myself if I weren't the perpetual
Smalltalk newbie :)

--
Douglas