Stop Press - was Re: UNIX 2.8 and/or 3.0 downloads?

Ian Piumarta piumarta at tif.inria.fr
Sat Apr 7 17:46:18 UTC 2001

> > You haven't answered the question.
> > The question was "WHERE"?
> >
> > "Download for Unix", which directed me to Ian Piumarta's
> > 	http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/
> > which tells me that
> >     "The current major version number is 2."
> > and "The current release is 2.7."

Ian is in the process of fixing some problems with (and building a whole
bunch of VMs for) 3.0 and 3.1.  Apparently, they'll be there in a day or
two.

> > Bottom line:
> > 	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/298
> > does NOT lead me to a 3.anything Squeak for Solaris.

If you had looked a little further down the Unix Squeak page, after a
bunch of 2.7 downloads you would have found tarballs containing a
complete set of sources for 3.0pre2, and BINARIES for Solaris.  (I think
it's the very last line in the page, if you've not opened your browser
in a postage stamp-sized window.)

> > and Squeak-2.8pre3-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1.tar.gz
> >               ^^^ how stable?

As stable as 2.8 ever got, with all that nonsense surrounding input
events.

> > and Squeak-2.8pre3-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1.tar.gz
> >                                     ^^^^^ long obsolete

Send Ian a newer one and he'll install it tomorrow.  (Or send him the
equivalent in cash and he'll buy it tomorrow.)

> > Looking in 3.0, now that I have been told that VM should work
> > with 2.8 images and changes file, I find
> > 	Squeak-3.0pre2.tar.gz.
> > 	          ^^^^
> > Excuse me?  Is this the 3.0 *stable* release?

Rumour has it that this is within a few minor tweaks of a 3.0 final
release.

> > *Is* there a fully patched Squeak 3.0 "final" VM for UNIX anywhere?

On the Unix Squeak page, within a couple of days.

> > So can anyone *please* answer this simple question:
> >
> >   Given that I *have*
> >     + SqueakV2.sources
> >     + Squeak2.8.changes
> >     + Squeak2.8.image
> >   and that I am experienced at installing UNIX software, given adequate
> >   instructions,
> >
> >   just what files should I download to get the least buggy available
> >   VM that I can compile and install on SPARC Solaris 2.8 that will
> >   run Squeak 2.8 and where do I find them?

The last paragraph in
  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/
contains (and has contained for quite some time) links to the following:

  ftp://ftp.inria.fr/INRIA/Projects/SOR/users/piumarta/squeak/
           Squeak-3.0pre2.tar.gz
           Squeak-3.0pre2-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1.tar.gz

> I know for a fact that the readme is wrong.  Part of the problem
> here is that Ian, the porter to unix and the writer of the
> README is not on the mailing list.

He _is_ on the mailing list.  The problem is that when he's dealt with the
first 100 emails of the day he rapidly loses interest in the others,
regardless of their content, and pipes them off to procmail (which has
infinitely more patience for reading all those messages).

What did he miss w.r.t. errors in the readme/install files?  (A reply
to Ian, not to the list, is more likely to be read before next year.)

- Anonymouse (on behalf of Ian)

PS: Lex, if you're reading, Ian says "thanks!" for the pointer to the
    remaining 3.0 problems.  They will be dealt with.