UNIX downloads? (with Windows answers)

Steve Gilbert steven.l.gilbert at lmco.com
Wed Apr 11 22:04:30 UTC 2001

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Steve Gilbert wrote:
>
> > No, I just ran configure then make just like the instructions said and
> > everything compiled just fine.  However, thinking about it this Alpha
> > machine is a 64 bit system and so I'll bet that the color mapping may
> > want to use a 64 bits rather than the standard 32 bits.
>
> Hmm. It does work correctly in 32 bpp, but not in 16, or 8, right? You
> could look into the copy functions in sqXWindow.c and tweak the defines
> there ...
>
> -- Bert

Well the character fonts stop being fuzzy(aliased) at a 32 bit depth.
But the colors still are biased in strange ways.  On my PC running
Hummingbird eXceed the colors have no reds and so everything is blues,
aquas, and blue greens.  On the console X-term the colors have reds but
most everything has a black bias to it almost as if the colors were
inverted or negatives of their intended colors.

I'll have to have a look at the sqXWindow.c file and see if changes made
there make things any better.  The good thing is that this version on
the Alpha is just a "because it's there, and I can" sort of build rather
than something that I need to have working.

Besides, now I can proudly post my "International Order of Squeak
Virtual Machine Builders" certificate on the wall of my office :D

-- Steve