Another Morphic Tutorial

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 05:58:53 UTC 2001

Karl Wilson wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks for the tutorial!
>
> I was wondering about using something like
> PluggableTextMorphWithModel instead of TextMorph so you don't have to
> go through the whole series of halos before you can get to editing
> the text. Maybe I am missing something, but when the TextMorph is
> blank (pink) I can't just click into the field to edit it.

Thanks Karl, I'll certainly take a peek at PluggableTextMorphWithModel
to see if it would simplify things, but in the meantime I've taken up
virtually all of Dan Shafer's suggestions (as well as Doug and Alan's
suggestions on the terminology), so it should be a lot quicker to do
(and easier to explain).

One of the drawbacks to using the blank TextMorphs is that it isn't
really obvious

a.	That they'll take focus (nothing happens when you left click on them)

b.	That you can input text (there is no cursor there).

These are pretty monumental drawbacks if you assess them in classic
terms of visibility, affordability and feedback!

But, having said that, this is how it should work. Without a halo
surrounding it, left click on the pink bit next to the field you want to
complete, and just type. As the blank TextMorph recieves the first
keystroke, the character should appear and the background will turn
white (but it'll go on accepting input).

This works for me in all 3 versions I've done so far.

Just a thought. You did save it as new page prototype from the page
morphs main menu (the dot in the middle of the grey panel in the
BookMorph)?

If this doesn't do it, please let me know.

The re-write with Dan, Doug and Alan's suggestions incorporated should
be on my site this time tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm working on a translation of  Leandro Caniglia's
Squeak and Morphic tutorial (the traffic light one on the Sugar site).

Thanks

John
Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."