Squeak Foundation suggestion

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Apr 18 22:50:01 UTC 2001

>>>>> "Randal" == Randal L Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> writes:

Randal> If you want to use an existing structure (which is already 501-3-c approved),
Randal> might I offer "Yet Another Society", at www.yetanother.org

Randal>     Yet Another Society is a non-profit, 501(3)(c) corporation for the
Randal>     advancement of collaborative efforts in computer and information
Randal>     sciences.

Randal> Although originally formed around Perl, YAS is already looking at
Randal> high-ROI-infrastructure support for Python and Ruby, including
Randal> sponsoring a Ruby/Perl meeting in Japan next year.

Randal> YAS was also successful at raising $55,000 in just three weeks to
Randal> sponsor Damian Conway for a "year of Perl", so the right people are in
Randal> charge and get things done quickly with minimal fuss.

Let me also add that I spoke to the Director of YAS (Kevin Lenzo), and
he was extremely encouraging.  "Targetted donations" are handled with
complete appropriateness.  So we could set up a "Squeak subcommittee"
that would pretty much have freedom to do as we choose, accept
donations, direct how the money was spent, and it would all fall under
the existing tax-exempt structure.  Also, YAS has quite a bit of
visibility in the open source community, so a lot of crossover
interest would be generated.

Nudge, nudge.