How to enable profiling in Mac VM?

Mark van Gulik ghoul6 at home.net
Sat Apr 28 21:50:59 UTC 2001

on 4/28/01 3:57 PM, Fleeberz at aol.com at Fleeberz at aol.com wrote:
[...]
> And speaking of _profile:_ itself, I guess if I'm stupid enough to try to
> compile my own copy of the VM, it won't hurt to ask this of the group:
> Could I please see working example code using _profile:_ (no underscores of
> course) to profile, say, tinyBenchmarks?
> Laugh at this at your leisure, but is it
> SystemDictionary profile: [0 tinyBenchmarks]. "hit doIt (cmd-d) on this
> line"
> or what? Told you this would be a hairy problem! ;-)

I don't really Squeak much, but I dug up a 2.7 image and browsed a bit.
Use:

    Smalltalk profile: [0 tinyBenchmarks]

The global variable "Smalltalk" contains an instance (the *only* instance)
of SystemDictionary.  After using Smalltalk for a while longer you would
have discovered this, probably by printing or inspecting Smalltalk some day.