SyntaxHighlighting on 3.0

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Thu Apr 26 07:36:36 UTC 2001

At 23:30 25.04.2001 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Aron Brener wrote:
>
> > When I was using version 2.7 I used SyntaxHighlighting to highlight
> > my code. I upgraded to 3.0 and loaded it into my image. It worked ok
> > for a while but not it gives me a mnu #writeOnScan:
>
>Question: why use this instead of pretty printing with color?

I like it because it leaves the formatting intact.  Just look what pretty
printing does to code like Preferences
class>>initializeSyntaxColorsAndStyles (the remnant of yet another style
system, hehe).  I also find code formatted like Integer>>take: easier to
read without pretty printing that with it.  Like I said, personal
preference, and we sure could customize pretty printing instead.

On the other hand, yes, the highlighting as-is is far from perfect (try
ByteArray>>shortAt:put:bigEndian:), and one may argue whether it is
desirable to duplicate so much Parser functionality...

On the gripping hand, I'm so used to it.  Helps me recognize global and
class references in a glimpse.

The "rewrite" that is mentioned on my page is actually somewhat down on the
list right now... :-/

Cheers,
Helge

Newsflash: Method invented to cut spare time from thin air. Film at 11.