Squeak Alice Compatibility

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Sat Apr 14 19:03:36 UTC 2001

For Project DeepLow --

The main contribution (and an important one) of Alice is a better
approach to enduser scripting of 3D worlds. This is what Jeff Pierce
from the Alice project implemented in Squeak (with the 3D stuff done
by Andreas Raab).
      We didn't try to emulate the Alice syntax directly (their's is
built out from Python), nor have we tried to stay compatible with
everything they are doing -- they are an exploratory research project
like us.
      As Karl mentions below, there are various ways to get 3D models
into Squeak, so you shouldn't have any problems there. Just use
converters e.g. to make VRML files, etc.
      We got about halfway to making a Squeak version of "Teddy" (ours
is called "Pooh") which allows direct 3D sketching of objects. Right
now you can draw any 2D shape directly in the camera window and Pooh
will figure out a reasonable 3D extension for this, tile it, and
render it.  Look at the handles on the camera window of Squeak Alice.
      In addition, you can then use the Etoy painting system to paint
directly on the surface of the 3D object that Pooh made. A simple
example would be to draw an egg shape. Pooh will make it into a 3D
egg. You can then draw Humpty-Dumpty's face and clothes directly on
the egg and Pooh will convert the painting to a texture on the fly as
you paint.
     Takeo's original Teddy could do quite a bit more and we've been
looking around for the right intern to spend a few months with us to
complete Pooh. Takeo was kind enough to give us his code for this, so
it is mainly a matter of understanding it (not completely trivial)
and making Squeak do it (pretty easy once the understanding happens).

Cheers,

Alan

-------