Squeak article in MacTech Magazine

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Apr 3 23:56:11 UTC 2001

Tim Moore <moore at bricoworks.com> replied...
>Wasn't early Squeak derived directly from a running Smalltalk-80 via
>System Tracer?  If so, Squeak has been around for 20 years, in some sense.

Indeed.
The first running Squeak was a direct derivative of the APDA (Apple Programmers' and Developers' Association) release of Smalltalk-80, and contained many unchanged methods (most of what we did at first was rip out the toolbox and put in a simple file system, plus write the VM, object memory, and translator to C).  That in turn was a fairly direct derivative of the penultimate Xerox release of Smalltalk-80.  I can't remember how those tapes (!) were designated, but the one that Apple had was the one before spelling correction was added.  It would be interesting to know how many methods in the system are unchanged (a) from the APDA Smalltalk, and (b) from the Xerox tape.  The latter would qualify for 20-year status.

I can tell you the eyeglasses cursor was in Smalltalk-76 ;-).

	- Dan