massively parallel smalltalk

Steve Wart thecows at home.com
Fri Apr 27 18:38:24 UTC 2001

I knew some people years ago at a company called Myrias
(http://www.myrias.com) -- they are now a consulting company -- but they
had some really cool stuff. Their computer was a board of 1024 68000s
with a special version of Unix to support parallel processing. Had C and
Fortran compilers (and an assembler called Myriasm) with constructs like
pardo {} instead of do {}.

It's not hard to think about the equivalent constructs in Smalltalk (eg.
pardo: , parcollect: pardetect:, etc., although the concurrency
semantics could be interesting).

There's also this: http://www.beowulf.org/

But why stop with Linux boxes? What about routers? Aren't they just
really fast computers optimized for sending messages? Isn't that what
Smalltalk is all about? Aren't Cisco routers going for about $40 each on
eBay right now? :)

Not sure why I think squeakers might be interested. I just think it is a
cool concept to turn the Internet into a really big Smalltalk image.
Physicists and Engineers hate Fortran anyhow :)

Cheers,
Steve