UNIX 2.8 and/or 3.0 downloads?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Wed Apr 4 05:32:32 UTC 2001

It's not a trick question.  Why would you think that?

As it happens, ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/2.8/
was one of the places I found.

It did *not* tell me that the 2.7 VM would work.
It does *not* offer "2.8" or "2.8 final" or anything like that,
it offers "2.8pre3" and that "pre" is pretty scary to someone
who is looking for a stable release.

And the installation guide says to "su root", which is something I just
can't do on this machine.

Believe it or not, I actually downloaded the file there, had a quick peek
at the contents, and decided "this is WAY more complicated a setup than
the 2.7 download, time to scream for help".