Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Stephan B. Wessels stephan.wessels at sdrc.com
Fri Apr 20 16:41:12 UTC 2001

Alan Kay wrote:

> Stephan --
>
> One should be very open so that ideas constantly manifest themselves,
> and then very tough to keep the 99.999% that are nonproductive from
> distracting. Sounds like that's what you do.

Sometimes creative ideas are productive only long enough to spawn the "better idea"
and then they no longer have value.

In my 20s I used to be so "goal" oriented.  Now I'm 45 and recognize that I'm
process oriented.  Both ways of living had their place at that time.

The things I learn on the creative journey are often more valuable that the initial
idea that may have launched me off.  Many times while exploring ideas with Squeak
I'll discover something even more fertile along the way and make a mental note to
"go check that out later".  Of course, there's only so many heartbeats in a day.

 - Steve (please call me Steve!)